Thursday, September 9, 2010

Rejection!

Dear Diary,

Today I received a rejection. This is very, very, well, normal.

My response was to send them another story. Seeing as I had another suitable story in hand, it seems rediculous not to. When a market has rejected a story, the best thing to do is consider that market now open for submissions.

Of course I could sit here and agonize over why this story was rejected, and so quickly, at that. Did I have a word out of place? Not likely. Stories sell with typos all the time. Was it the wrong type of story? hard to tell -- it's a new market, and I don't have a good feel for what they want to buy. Their guidelines are fuzzy as to what they like, so no help there. Maybe I'm not a good enough writer -- highly possible, but I won't get better if I don't keep writing and submitting.

Maybe I'm on some sort of secret blacklist that editors pass about privately? Possible, but not at all probable. No, the most likely explanation is...

The editor didn't like it.

So I've got two choices -- either send it somewhere else, or take the time to HTML it properly (wow, verbs come from everywhere these days!) and give it away for free on my website. Which is easier?

So, where do I send a horror flash fiction with a humorous punchline?

No comments:

Post a Comment